One of the reasons I've discovered I like being a server is that fact that I am constantly being compensated for my work. After every table leaves I get to put a couple dollars in my pocket for a job well done. Now, we're not talking big bucks here, but there is something about this instant gratification that I can't help but find enticing. I was sharing this thought with my roommate the other day and we began thinking about the idea of tipping in general.
What if we got tips in all jobs?
Shannon seemed to agree that she might be happier during the day if there was an immediate reward for her work. She gives her students tickets when they follow instructions for this purpose. Sure, they are seven, but wouldn't it be nice if she explained a math problem well, or blended words clearly, and her students handed her a buck or two? "Nice job teacher (Oh yea, seven-year-olds, and actually a lot of 15-year-olds call their teachers "teacher"), have a dolla!" It's certainly not a source of long-term fulfillment, but I think it'd make it easier to smile throughout the day.
Better yet, what if we got tips for life?
Like, "Wow, your hair is doing marvelous things today, good work, here's a five." Or, "That was so great of you to let me go first in the check out line, here's a dollar for your patience and friendliness."
Okay, so don't try and think about this theory too hard because inevitably you'll realize (as most people eventually do) that I make little sense. However, I'm just trying to make the world a better place... one dolla at a time.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Man, I could use tips. That would be great.
Post a Comment