Have you ever noticed that the greatest wisdom seems to come from where you least expect it--from a stranger passing by you on the street, the woman in line with you at the store, or, like today, a middle-aged man having his eggs over easy with wheat toast at the restaurant.
"Excuse me," he said as he had finished his breakfast and was getting up to leave. "I didn't mean to be eavesdropping, but I overheard your conversation. Would you like to know what I know?"
"Please." I have figured out that a life time is not really long enough to figure out everything there is to know, and so I openly rely on the knowledge of others to help me fill in my gaps.
"There are only three decisions you have to make in your life--what you want to do, where you want to live, and who you want to share your life with. If you can even get two of them right you should consider yourself very lucky."
I loved this simplicity.
I guess I always figured there would be a time in my life when I'd find myself asking, what do I really want? In fact, this seems to be one of the less famous unalienable rights of Americans. The pursuit of happiness and the right to question what we want. However, I suppose I figured this would happen when I was about 50, and I could just solve it with whatever version of a midlife crisis was popular at the time.
My friend told me the other day that her psychology professor is now studying the "quarter-life crisis." I've always liked to rush into things, and so I guess it doesn't surprise me that I'm opting for this version instead of putting it off until middle age.
However, I wonder if all we have to decide in life are the three Ws-- What, Where, and Who-- could it even be possible to figure them all out at 23? And if someone did, would it bring the same kind of fulfillment as if they had to search harder?
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My mom is twice that and she says she still doesn't know what she wants to be when she grows up. I'm not sure you have to figure those three things out for finality. You just need them to satisfy you at that moment. The who should stay the same, but the where and what... I'd like to think those can change an infinite amount of times based on your feelings.
btw, way to blog twice! (see, I'm supportive too)
ohhh, Kendra is in trouble. Mom is not a day over 29, lol
I do agree with Kendra with everything else. Years ago, I heard something which stuck with me. Adults always ask kids what they want to do when they grow up, because they are looking for idea's. Most adults don't know what they want to do, just what they are doing right then.
Post a Comment