Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sunny side up fortunes

So if you find a fortune, does it count the same as if you pull it out of the cookie? The other day I was cleaning up a table at work and someone had left a fortune on it. I decided that if I liked the fortune, then it was mine. I liked it.

"Don't pursue happiness--create it."

Of course, this must not have been a fortune cookie at all, but an advice-giving cookie. I've noticed lately that the trend in fortune cookies is toward motivational blurbs instead of the passive statements of indisputable fate. I do appreciate this since I like to believe that I create my fortune, but I also miss the simplicity of reading my fortune (and then eating my cookie in peace) without the burden of knowing I need to get off my butt* for it to come true. I also appreciate the fact that even though the word is so helpfully printed on the back of the little paper, I still have no idea how to say "ginger" in Chinese.

*I haven't quite decided how I feel about using "ass" in my blog. I mean... my mom and grandma read this.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

nice new picture at the top... you are worried about saying ass but you put a picture up of you on St. Patrick's day. ;)

Katie said...

Haha, I was playing around with pictures and didn't think I left it up.

dad said...

I loved your blog about clotheslines. They were a big part of my childhood back in Detroit!!