Forget about blogging about my life... there needs to be a reality TV show. This is True Life- I'm a Waitress.
So I showed up to work today (I have been serving at this restaurant all of 4 days) to find out that I would be the only one working breakfast. It was me, a cook, about three managers who are constantly contradicting each other, and a lot of eggs in just about every variety- scrambled, poached, over easy, soft-boiled (?). And yes, this reminds me of Ernie singing about soft-boiled cookies. (If you have no idea what I'm talking about here don't worry about it... George Washington briiiiidge...)
But I digress.
Anyway, as the dining room began to fill up I definitely started feeling the stress. Oh sure, no big thing... I'm the only server after being "trained" for all of like an hour, none of the guests speak English this morning, and I swear that half of them are Asian and let's forgive my wildly inappropriate and un-PC thought that, they all looked the same! ... Is that the guy who just asked for hot milk or the one who still owes me $4.30? Uh oh... Trust me, it didn't help that they kept multiplying. For some reason every time I looked up there was another dude at their table who wanted to get the buffet. "Okay, two for the buffet."... "Oh, okay, three for the buffet." "Another for the buffet this morning?" Where were they all coming from?!
Luckily, I've learned a lot about being a waitress already. I believe the number one lesson is that no matter who I'm dealing with (guests, server, my multiple bosses) I should always respond with a nod and a smile. While most times this works spectacularly, it sometimes gets me into difficult situations. For example, today this customer who spoke very little English asked me for "water with" what sounded like "no gus." So I nodded and smiled and repeated, "water with no gus?" He pleasantly responded, "yes, no gus," at which point I realized I was in trouble. No gas? No glass? I desperately looked to his friend to see if he would help me out, but he only repeated the request with the same accent. The second lesson in waitressing is, if you don't know ask, and if you ask and still don't know, guess. I gave the guy regular ice water and since he didn't throw it at me I assumed it was what he wanted.
Stay tuned for the next episode of True Life- I'm a Waitress...
Monday, January 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment