Saturday, March 6, 2010

Bringing back the blog...

I've decided it is time to bring back the blog. I admit to neglecting it the past few months in lieu of other writing outlets. However, while sharing my thoughts with the world* is intimidating, it turns out that not sharing my thoughts with the world is more detrimental. For example, I have started trying to write about my time here in Phoenix. In essence, creating a summary of the "now what?" post college and up until this point in time. So far, however, I have only served to convince myself that I lack any literary merit, am potentially extremely boring, and completely incapable of writing in one consistent tense.

Therefore, I think it may be wise to continue writing into cyberspace so at least my critics can exist outside my head.

Enough about me though, let's talk about everyone else.

Had you asked me before I began waiting tables, I would have said that most people are capable participants in the most simple of social interactions. However, it has recently come to my attention that the majority of people may be socially inept. Let me offer as evidence a script of "normal" conversations I am forced to partake in at work in the name of "making a living/paying the bills."

Katie: "Hi there, how are you doing today?"

Guest: "We're going to need separate checks."

___

Katie: "Are you ready to order?"

Guest1: Says nothing. Looks wildly around the table.

Guest2: Stares at hands and avoids eye contact.

Guest3: Lifts the menu a little closer to face.

Katie: "I'll come back in a few minutes."

___

Katie: "Hi there, how are you doing today?"

Guest: "What do you have to drink?"

___

Guest: "Is your full size salad big?"

Katie: "Yes."**

___


I will admit to the fact that some of this social incompetency is a result of group questioning. I call this the booth bystander effect. When I ask a question to a group (booth) of people they often all assume that someone else will answer. This happens frequently with questions like, "Are you ready to order?" and "Are you going to have dessert today?" No one wants to make assumptions on behalf of everyone. As a result, no one says anything. For this reason, I'm a big fan of groups that clearly have an appointed ring leader. The father, the mother, the one with the fat wallet, the one with the biggest mouth.

I don't care who you are, I just want you to tell me if you need drink refills.



*Oh yea, I'm aware that the world is really just Mom and Julie. Then again, if I blogged on any sort of reliable schedule I could probably rope in a few more followers.
**Okay, so maybe it is me that is socially inept here because I'm refusing to pick up on the implied question, but somebody has to be the smart-a**.

5 comments:

Brent said...

I read too :)

Kendra said...

As a former server I truly appreciate this blog.
"hi I'm Kendra and I'll be taking....."
"iced tea"

Julie said...

Ohhhhhhh people. They are so annoying sometimes! :)

P.s. My little word clue to leave this message is hogie. I find that amusing for some reason.

Barb said...

Love it.

Kaitlynn said...

I am glad the blog is back :)